The Art of Foresight State of the art Technology Roadmapping
admin apecctf · 2 min read
Technology roadmapping is a strategic planning process used by organizations to align their technology development efforts with their business goals and objectives. It is a visual representation of a company’s technology strategy, which outlines the path it intends to take to develop new products, processes, or services over a defined period of time.
The technology roadmapping process generally involves the following steps:
- Defining the scope and objectives of the roadmap: This involves identifying the technology areas and products/services that the roadmap will cover, as well as setting clear goals and objectives.
- Conducting a technology assessment: This involves analyzing the current state of technology in the relevant areas, as well as identifying emerging technologies and trends that may impact the organization.
- Identifying technology development projects: Based on the technology assessment, the organization identifies specific projects that it will undertake to develop new technologies or improve existing ones.
- Prioritizing technology development projects: This involves assessing the potential impact of each project on the organization’s goals and objectives and prioritizing them based on their importance.
- Creating a roadmap: The roadmap is a visual representation of the organization’s technology strategy, which outlines the path it intends to take to develop new products, processes, or services over a defined period of time.
- Implementing the roadmap: The organization must ensure that the technology roadmap is effectively communicated to all stakeholders, and that the necessary resources are allocated to implement it.
- Monitoring and updating the roadmap: The roadmap should be regularly reviewed and updated to ensure that it remains aligned with the organization’s goals and objectives and that it takes into account any new developments or changes in the business environment.
Overall, technology roadmapping can help organizations to prioritize their technology development efforts, reduce uncertainty and risk, and ensure that they are investing in technologies that will deliver the most value to their business.
Composed by Srichattra Chaivongvilan, Ph.D., PMP
Senior Policy Specialist, APEC CTF